Prerequisite Programmes (PRP)
Food manufacturers aim to produce products that meet in-house specifications and conform to local health regulations.
These products should also meet consumer needs, be safe, wholesome and nutritious. Prerequisite programmes (PRPs) are the minimum control measures, actions and procedures that must be performed to manufacture a product that meets these needs. As no single policy or set of standards can be applied to every plant or distribution system, PRPs are used as guides in establishing individual plant policies. Food-safety management systems are management systems that involve the systematic and logical assessment of all the steps in a food-manufacturing operation. A food-safety management system cannot be successfully implemented unless the facility has PRPs in place.
To equip the participant with a basic knowledge of PRPs and an understanding of how they relate to other food safety management systems. At the conclusion of the course participants will be able to:
- Identify the key elements of PRPs
- Implement PRPs in a food environment
- Understand how PRPs relate to product-safety management systems, resulting in more efficient plant operation with a decrease in waste, greater employee productivity and improved morale, a better product that meets consumer expectations, improved ability to meet legal requirements and to control potential food hazards
- Quality Management Systems: an overview of various quality-management systems, including GMP (Good Manufacturing Practices), GLP (Good Laboratory Practices), SQA (Supplier Quality Assurance), ISO 9001:2015, IS0 22000, TQM (Total Quality Management System) and the qualitymanagement system pyramid and legislation
- Good Manufacturing Practices, including personnel practices, cleaning and sanitation, pest control, construction and maintenance as well as production and process control
- The benefits of implementing a pre-requisite system
- Pre-requisite inspections
A certificate of attendance will be issued once the course has been successfully completed.
FoodBev SETA Registered Skills Programme: 09SP0002460301303/0
NQF Level: 3
- Middle management and supervisors.
- This programme is a pre-requisite for the course "HACCP - A Practical Approach"
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and subsequent lockdown, we are not currently running face-to-face training. However, a number of our courses are running online - either by way of webinar-style training or learn-at-your-own-pace courses. Get in touch with our team via the link below to discuss training availability and options to suit your needs.